Cemetery History
History of St. John's Cemetery
St. John’s Cemetery has served the families of the Wishkah Valley community for more than a century and remains an important part of the valley’s heritage.
Founding of the Cemetery 1909–1910
St. John’s Cemetery was established through the generosity and community spirit of early Wishkah Valley settlers who recognized the need for a local burial ground for valley residents and their families.
According to a narrative recorded in 2003 by longtime caretaker John “Jack” Haskey, the cemetery’s story began in 1909, when Mrs. Charles McAllister offered approximately three acres of her property for use as a community cemetery. A widow whose land extended to the Wishkah River, Mrs. McAllister was well known in the valley for hosting large Sunday chicken dinners for family, neighbors, and other community members.
The story passed down through the community holds that the cemetery was established so that a young infant boy, Casimer Szczpanski—also recorded as Shapspanski—could receive a proper burial when his family could not afford one. Mrs. McAllister’s condition for the use of the land was that those buried at St. John’s Cemetery have an affiliation with the Wishkah Valley community.
The cemetery was named St. John’s because a Catholic church bearing that name existed in the community at the time.
Historical land research completed in February 2007 by Kay Busz, then Treasurer of the St. John’s Cemetery Association, provided additional documentation of the cemetery’s beginnings. Records located at Pacific Title Company in Montesano show that the cemetery property was formally donated on February 18, 1910, by Miecystow Gorski and his wife, Franciska Gorski, to the Saint John Cemetery Association. The deed directed that the property be known as St. John’s Cemetery and was officially filed in March 1910.
Trustees named in the deed included M. Gorski, Mike Chwesciek—also recorded as Fosjack—and Marion Compton of Wishkah, Washington.
Early Caretakers and Community Service
Among the cemetery’s earliest caretakers were Felix Walczyk and Alex Gregorcewicz, whose family name was later shortened to Gregor. Alex’s young son Henry helped with the work as a boy.
Cemetery maintenance in those early years was performed entirely by hand. Grass around the graves was cut with handheld scythes, and graves were manually opened and closed.
Alex Gregor also built coffins for many local burials. He harvested cedar trees from his property in the upper Wishkah Valley, milled the lumber himself, and handcrafted caskets for families during a time when resources were limited and neighbors depended heavily upon one another.
As Henry Gregor grew older, he continued caring for the cemetery while living with his wife, Vera, on the family homestead. Henry volunteered his time mowing and maintaining the grounds, while Vera served as cemetery treasurer.
In later years, John “Jack” Haskey assisted Henry with maintenance, and Jack’s wife, Marion Haskey, served as cemetery secretary.
Following Henry Gregor’s death in 1988, Jack Haskey assumed responsibility as caretaker. Art Cobain was later hired to open and close graves. After Art’s death in 1990, Martha Bodnar took over those responsibilities while also performing much of the cemetery’s mowing and grounds maintenance.
In 2005, after Martha was appointed Board Member at Large, Chad Mittleider assumed responsibility for opening and closing gravesites at St. John’s Cemetery.
More Than 20 Years of Busz Stewardship
For more than two decades, Dave and Kay Busz provided volunteer leadership and service to St. John’s Cemetery.
Dave served as president of the St. John’s Cemetery Association, while Kay carried the combined responsibilities of secretary, treasurer, sexton, and recorder. Together, they helped manage the cemetery’s daily operations, records, finances, plot information, maintenance, and coordination of burials.
Kay’s work also contributed to the preservation of the cemetery’s history. Her 2007 research into the original property records helped establish the documented 1910 land transfer and clarify the cemetery’s founding timeline.
The work performed during the Buszes’ years of service extended well beyond administrative duties. Caring for St. John’s required mowing, trimming, weed control, marking gravesites, coordinating grave openings and closings, placing memorial flags, maintaining records and maps, and overseeing improvements such as the installation of the cemetery fence and entrance sign.
They were supported by many community volunteers, including Martha Bodnar, Jerry Hill, Daniel Wareham, Ivars Mattisons, Byron and Rose Anderson, Rick Bomhoff, Paul Kunkle, members of the spring cleanup crews, past board members, and many others who contributed their time and labor.
Dave and Kay Busz resigned from their cemetery positions on October 18, 2023. At that time, the cemetery’s records, maps, and financial information were formally transferred to the succeeding volunteer leadership.
Their more than 20 years of service represent an important chapter in the continuing care and preservation of St. John’s Cemetery.
Understanding the Founding Date
For many years, the cemetery entrance sign displayed 1914 as the founding date. Historical research later clarified that 1914 was the year the original cemetery cross was erected—not the year the cemetery was established.
The cemetery’s beginnings date to 1909, while the formal land donation and deed were recorded in 1910. The entrance sign now recognizes 1909 as the beginning of St. John’s Cemetery.
A New Generation of Stewardship
Following the Buszes’ retirement in October 2023, Judith "Judi" Carter and Diana "Dee Dee" Johnson volunteered to assume responsibility for the cemetery’s operations.
The transition included the transfer of cemetery records, maps, plot information, and financial materials, helping ensure that the knowledge accumulated by previous caretakers would remain available to future generations.
Their service continues a tradition established by the cemetery’s earliest trustees, caretakers, officers, and volunteers: local residents accepting responsibility for preserving a place that belongs to the entire Wishkah Valley community.
Continuing Stewardship
St. John’s Cemetery continues to serve individuals and families with Wishkah Valley affiliations, honoring the vision established by its founders more than a century ago.
Every generation of caretakers has contributed to its preservation—from those who cut the grass with scythes and dug graves by hand to the volunteers who now maintain digital records, cemetery maps, memorial histories, and long-term backups.
St. John’s remains a place of rest, remembrance, family history, and community pride—preserved through the dedication of the many people who have cared for it since 1909.